Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Know when to walk away, know when to run


Mid-week greetings from Pam.

I hope everyone is thoroughly enjoying the madness that is G20. Other than my brief stint in the click for reasons I won’t and legally can’t get into, I have never seen such a concentration of police in one area. I contemplated getting a little rowdy to see what they’d do with their handcuffs, but considered my permanent record and shut that idea down faster than SOS shuts down an open bar. Besides, 5-0 are Gemma’s thing and not so much mine.

Anyway, the aforementioned potential under-ager (who shall be know as Baby Face going forward) in the last post may be a bit of an exaggeration. Okay so most likely he could get away with one shave a week, but he wasn’t that young. I tried to instill a manly sense of confidence in him by being generous and pegging him at 24, to which he eagerly agreed. Didn’t give him all that much swagger in the end as I had hoped but hey, after a long night out Friday for a birthday party that took us to a few different venues, to say I was a hot mess was an understatement. I wouldn’t really say the phrase beggars can’t be choosers would be applicable here, as I don’t beg. More like you got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em. So I held ‘em.


Around 4:30 am I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer and let Baby Face know I was calling him a cab. I knew his “name”, but given my past history in hearing incorrectly and messing them up I was hesitant to use it. Instead I gave the cab dispatcher my name and hoped Baby Face could find his way to the elevator. So clever? No, so transparent. But I slept fine for the next 3.5 hours before my alarm told me it was time to get up again and start a new day.

And just to add a little twist – as any good tryst has – I looked over to my beside table in the morning and started to laugh. What was perched right on top of it, right next to where Baby Face’s water glass was? A prominently displayed baby bootie of course. A friend had recently given it to me as her way of telling me she is expecting (this is a good thing, she's not an SOSer), which I am over the moon delighted about. So I put it there as a nice reminder for whenever I see it. But that on a one-night-stander drunk chick’s beside table is just a red flag of so many shades. So, so many shades.

This week is all business and no pleasure for me, so will check in later on. Unless I change my mind about those handcuffs….

Peacefully yours,

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment