Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cause I got friends...


in lo-o-ow places! Whoever thought that a roaring night out is reserved only for the weekends clearly hasn’t rolled with an SOS sister. You have my sympathy.


It poured last night but we braved the rain and headed out to sing a little karaoke. Again. Why not? It’s fun, the drinks are cheap (five of us feasted and never had less than a back up drink waiting for us at all times over the course of just under 4 hours – and we’re drinkers – wasn’t even $40 each), and there’s always lots of dance floor to be had. Plus shout outs or ordering drinks from the stage is just good times.

Gwen and I stopped into Monica’s, and Cassie and Chelsea joined shortly thereafter. A few cocktails and a traveller later Mr. Cab Driver dropped us off at a mini-van and station wagon loaded parking lot and we were ready to flip through those binders and take to the stage. By way of neatly organized bullet points, I will attempt to fill you in on the festivities. I actually feel proud that I may actually have the clearest recollection of the group, seeing as I was passing out on my bar stool mid-conversation with Cassie a couple of night ago, and woke up with a wine glass on my bedroom floor. A particular type that I do not own. And clearly need to go back to the venue now to get myself a set.

Today’s highlights of last night are brought to you by Vodka & Gin; helping folks make decisions against their better judgements for years.

· Upon arrival being greeted by the karaoke host, him knowing our names, coming over for a round of hugs, and updating us on his physical health. “Remember how my leg was hurting last time?” Nope. “Well turns out I…”


· Getting stage time almost immediately. Okay fine it wasn’t particularly busy but still. I was in the latrine and Chelsea comes busting in calling my name that Monica and I were due on the stage. Now that is a good friend.


· Making friends with a fellow patron who was there on her own, nursing a single beer all night since she was driving (genuine props to being responsible) who would take the stage in her hot jeans, denim blazer and black studded bustier to rock out the occasional ballad. Shy but nice. Or maybe sober vs. not so sober.


· Monica getting a spontaneous back rub from the DJ at our table. It was lengthy. She did not appear to be particularly enjoying it. Her eyes said a lot.


· Gwen having an emotional moment while texting and yes there were tears. She was reminded that although she would be sensitive to this situation sober, there was a *pretty* fair chance that those tears could infact be made of Grey Goose and to revisit everything in the morning. The switch was flipped and tears immediately turned to laughter.


· Cassie and Gwen giving a rousing and heartfelt rendition of Landslide and Friends in Low Places. Real crowd pleasers. And Cassie said she was just gonna watch. Uh oh, me thinks somebody’s got the bug!


· Another patron by the name of Randal who came across very moody (read: one splash goth, heavy on the rock) in his appearance, but was actually pretty nice and gave us a random poster from the TTC that he just happened to have “and we might like.” The DJ was referring to his singing all evening as getting randallized, and we called him Randal the Vandal, which he liked. Very much.


· Myself having the chance to rap on stage to Ice Ice Baby, and later to Baby Got Back, the latter of which the DJ did come over and to suggest to me that I should sing. I believe the exact phrase of “You can do this, I know you’re ready. I’m gonna put it on, this is yours” was used while giving me a serious pep talk. God bless.


· Hearing the name of the next person due on the stage and bellaring to everyone walking by within a 15 meter radius of the stage things such as “Is that you?! Are you Lefty? GO LEFTY!!!” “I’m not Lefty.”


· Chelsea chatting up a late comer to the bar, only to decide it wasn’t such a good idea after we pointed out his friend that just returned from the bathroom. Clearly weekend pass started early this week.


· The final song being a duet of Crusin’ by Huey Lewis between the DJ and Monica, which was his little surprise to her. Hello DJ Lance Romance!!


· Bidding Cassie farewell at the end of the night and the rest of us heading to Mon’s for a sleepover, deciding we were hungry and firing up the oven and raiding the freezer for a feast. Hearing “that smells really smoky, maybe we should turn it down,” followed by a wailing fire alarm that went off a number of times and were fanned quiet by giant pillows. At 2:30 am.


· And finally Gwen and I creeping out at seven bells this morning and when we went to check in on the girls, being told by Monica that she couldn’t move her head, which Chelsea clearly could because she lifted it to give a confused look before rolling over to go back to sleep.

Stay classy Toronto,

Pam

2 comments:

  1. Worth noting our first song was 'Ticket to Ride', and it was probably our best.....we really did have a ticket to ride in that joint last night...too bad it meant me allowing karaoke dude to give me a massage (I just gagged while typing) AND doing a tequila shot with him!
    What the SOS happened? All in the name of the game I guess.
    xo
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing; very sad news today about Rue McClanahan (our beloved Blanche). I think next week all the SOS'ers will have to hit the stage for a rendition of "Thank You for Being a Friend".

    RIP Blanche.

    ReplyDelete